StingMaster

$19.95
In Stock
SKU
DA-StingMaster
StingMaster is an OTC topical ointment that blocks the pain caused by marine life stings.

StingMaster

Box View
Box View One Ounce Jar
  • Ointment that blocks the pain caused by lionfish or jellyfish sting
  • Only FDA approved product for relief of discomfort due to a marine life sting
  • { 1 oz | 28 g } of topical analgesic cream in a reclosable plastic jar
  • Active ingredient is Lidocaine Hydrochloride 40 mg/g NDC#80324-078-00
StingMaster is an over-the-counter topical ointment that blocks the pain caused by lionfish or jellyfish venom at the source, and the only FDA approved product for relief of discomfort due to a marine life sting. After appropriate first aid for the sting, then apply a coin sized amount of the StingMaster cream on the skin in area of the sting and again every hour as needed. It prevents the propagation of pain signals by blocking the lionfish or jellyfish venom at the nerve endings in the skin. Packaged as { 1 oz | 28 g } of topical analgesic cream in a reclosable plastic jar; active ingredient is Lidocaine Hydrochloride 40 mg/g NDC#80324-078-00.

GETTING STUNG BY A LIONFISH

  1. Skin comes in contact with the sharp tip of lionfish spine on dorsal, pelvic or anal fin .
  2. The skin pushes the spine sheath down as the spine enters.
  3. The venom gland is compressed by the movement of the sheath.
  4. Venom from the gland is released into the victim’s wound.
  5. The venom molecules reach the nerve endings to begin the process of signaling pain.
More Information
Brand Dive 1st Aid
SKU DA-StingMaster
Weight 0.100000
Tek Tip Warning Image WARNING
Even though a marine life sting isn’t likely to kill humans, some people do have life threatening complications after being stung. If the victim is hypersensitive to the venom, they may develop signs of an allergic reaction and anaphylaxis shock which can result in severe symptoms or tissue necrosis. StingMaster is an over-the-counter analgesic solely for first aid relief of discomfort due to a marine life sting and is not a suitable treatment for allergic reaction and anaphylaxis shock.

Seriously, Do Not Pee On That...

There are a lot of unproven "home remedies" and plain misinformation floating around among divers on first aid treatments for marine life sting. A few of the sting treatment myths can actually be harmful. Some things the experts say NOT to try are ...


  • Baking soda (No)
  • Meat tenderizer (Nasty)
  • Urine (Gross, but hey... no judgement)
  • Alcohol (Nada)
  • Scraping out stingers (But picking out individually with tweezers is OK)
  • Rub with a towel (Really Bad)
  • Pressure bandage (Just Say No)

Rinsing with fresh water is a bad idea for coral and jellyfish stings as fresh water can cause any dormant nematocysts present in the wound to release more venom and make the situation go from bad to worse. For stings from creatures that inject venom such as Lionfish, rinsing with fresh water is harmless but probably not going to help much unless it's uncomfortably warm.

The usefulness of vinegar spray depends on the circumstances of the type of marine life venom. Vinegar may help for Fire Coral stings, but vinegar is of questionable benefit on most other common marine life stings. There is some research evidence that vinegar particularly for Man-o-War jellyfish stings may make the injury much worse.

For expert knowledge on how to treat various specific marine life stings, we suggest the Divers Alert Network article on recommended first aid for Hazardous Marine Life Envenomations. Once the first aid treatment is complete, a topical analgesic such as StingMaster can help manage the discomfort.